Thursday, October 24, 2013

Comparative Review of Hansells Probiotic Yoghurt (now stocked in Coles) and EasiYo

Over the past couple of years Coles stocked three plain varieties of Hansells packet yoghurt alongside a wider range of the EasiYo products. From 1 July 2013, Coles discontinued the EasiYo range and replaced it with a wider Hansells range and the Hansells yoghurt-making container.

This is a review of the Hansells yoghurts that have been tried (and a couple of EasiYo varieties that I was able to purchase at Woolworths). Sadly overall they do not stack up against their EasiYo counterparts, and it remains a pity that Coles decided to discontinue the range. However, EasiYo is still available for purchase online and may be available at other supermarkets. (I have since discovered that Woolworths sells both EasiYo and Hansells - what a pity that Coles does not do the same!)

In summary, the two flavoured Greek Yoghurts I tried were of acceptable quality, but as far as the other flavours are concerned I much prefer the EasiYo equivalents and found the Hansells varieties disappointing.

Hansells Passionfruit
This was bland and watery. I would not buy it again.

Hansells Thick and Creamy Yoghurt Boysenberry
This was also fairly bland and not as fruity in taste as the EasiYo. I would not buy it again.

Hansells Lite Yoghurt 99% Fat Free - Strawberry
This was fairly bland and had a floury/chalky taste and left a feeling in my mouth a bit like a film of toothpaste. I would not buy it again.

Hansells Thick and Creamy Yoghurt - Strawberry
There is an occasional hint of a nice piquant strawberry flavour, but overall a bit bland and disappointing. The consistency in the mouth is more of a claggy/pasty feel than creamy. I would probably not buy it again if I could get the EasiYo Strawberry instead..

EasiYo Greek and Coconut Bits
This was a new one to try, and this was interesting to compare with the Hansells. The EasiYo variety is creamy, sweet and delightfully light and refreshing with a gentle coconut taste. It reminded me of sitting on a tropical beach in the shade with a light zephyr of a breeze drinking a Pina Colada! I would definitely buy this in preference to the Hansells (reviewed below).

EasiYo Mixed Berries and Bits
This was also another variety that I had not tried before. Wow! It is creamy, tangy and tart with a summery taste and a generous smattering of berry bits (blackcurrants, blackberries and raspberries). I will definitely be getting this one again.


Hansells Thick and Creamy Yoghurt with Bits - Greek and Coconut Style
This was indeed thick and creamy and had a nice coconut taste. Unfortunately a lot of the coconut settled to the bottom so a periodic stir would be in order to avoid getting a mouthful of coconut when you are getting to the end of the container. I would probably buy this one again.

Hansells Thick and Creamy Yoghurt - Greek and Honey
This is the final one which I tried. It is also indeed thick and creamy. The flavour is fairly subtle but the overall result is a soft sensation of being slightly sweet. I would probably buy this one again. The two Greek Yoghurt combination flavours are by far the best of what is on offer.

Hansells Lite Yoghurt 99% Fat Free - Apricot
This was fairly bland and had a floury/chalky taste and left a feeling in my mouth a bit like a film of toothpaste after a couple of mouthfuls. As it aged in the container there was a bit more of a tangy apricot taste.  I would not buy it again.

Hansells Lite Yoghurt 99% Fat Free - Berry
This one actually had a nice fresh and consistent berry taste but the same sensation of a slight chalky film left behind on your teeth after a couple of mouthfuls. The most surprising thing about this one was just how much water separated out from the solids within the first 24 hours. There was a large quantity of pinkish fluid that I kept having to pour off. Ironically this led to a thicker and stickier yoghurt. Just because this one actually has some taste I might consider buying it again if there was no EasiYo available.

1 comment:

  1. The watery stuff is whey. You are meant to eat it because it's good for you.

    ReplyDelete