Sunday, November 17, 2013

Getting a quote from an arborist – Simpson’s Tree Service, Melbourne

The rather large tree overhanging the back of several body corporate units needs a trim in order to preserve neighbourhood equanimity so it was time to get some quotes from qualified arborists. Three is always a good number, and the final quote was obtained from Simpson’s Tree Service as it had contributed to a feature article in the local newspaper not long ago and came off sounding as if it is an experienced and reputable company.

The first two gentlemen who came to quote (from other companies) had been personable and engaged in social niceties such as introducing themselves and shaking hands. In contrast, the representative from Simpson’s Tree Service (whom I will call "Mr STS") was taciturn and world-weary and did not offer his hand. However, he was thorough in assessing the tree and cited his lengthy experience and provided a well-considered quotation. I bade him farewell with a non-committal remark about being in touch later and some time went by without further contact.

Late last week I happened to be working at home and had the doorbell turned off as is customary unless someone is expected. There was a knock on the front window and as I approached the front door there was a strong stench of cigarette smoke. I opened the door and went outside and was surprised to see several men in work clothes standing around. The apparent leader made a scarcastic remark about the bees flying in and out of a gap in the masonry between units: "just admiring your bees' nest" and then said "can we get this car out of the way", referring to my car which was parked in the carport. I appeared puzzled and this man (wearing sunglasses and ear muffs) said "we're here to do the tree". I then realised that this was Mr STS. I indicated that I had not made a booking and I did not believe that any other owners had done so either. He seemed unconvinced and appeared annoyed, so I indicated that I would make a telephone call to check this. He also remarked "aren't we getting the job?", to which I indicated that it was my belief that a decision had not yet been made. I made the 'phone call and confirmed that no booking had been made and that confirmation of the chosen arborist was subject to Body Corporate ratification. I conveyed this information to Mr STS, who once again seemed unconvinced and attempted to persuade me to go ahead on the spot. I politely declined and reiterated that I was sorry, but no booking had been made. Mr STS appeared aggrieved but retreated. At no time did Mr STS remove his sunglasses whilst talking to me. As I turned to return inside I noticed that the offending cigarette butt had been thrown onto the front lawn just next to my car.

As there is no rear exit, the tree branches would have to be brought through one of the units and considerable preparation would be involved in rearranging furniture to provide clear access so it was simply not practicable to accede to his request to allow them to commence work "on the spot".

However, as a result of this episode, they will not be getting the job. I was not impressed with the attitude and behaviour of Mr STS and his crew, which I felt was unprofessional. I felt that I was not treated with respect and common niceties were dispensed with. I came away feeling that this had been an unsavoury experience and had the perception of having being stood-over by an unpleasant man in sunglasses who seemed unwilling to acknowledge that the problem had originated at their end.

No comments:

Post a Comment