Tuesday, May 22, 2012

WARNING - Do not buy from DinoDirect!

This is a warning not to buy goods online from DinoDirect (who are based offshore) and also to be very cautious about buying any electronic devices via a deals voucher unless the supplier of the goods is based in your home country.

Late last year I bought a NextBook Premium7 Android tablet via a Spreets voucher for a friend. This is a 7 inch Android tablet, which is supposed to be able to do all the normal things that a tablet can do. However, from the time it was purchased there were problems with it. The battery only retained its charge for a very short time, regardless of whether it was being used or not, and using a finger for screen scrolling only worked erratically and generally not at all if the screen image was enlarged, such as if you were trying to read emails through a browser. However, the most significant problem is that it has never been possible to get the inbuilt email program working. At first I thought that perhaps this was due to an inadequate WiFi connection when I tried it at both the local library and at work. I carefully researched the correct connection parameters from Google for Gmail in case that was the problem. Eventually I was able to try setting it up with a direct ADSL connection, and it still would not work. I then emailed NextBook customer service, and they first suggested resetting the email program (which did not work) and then resetting the tablet to return it to its default settings (which also did not work). NextBook told me that it was covered by a one year manufacturer's warranty, but that if I wanted to return it to them I would have to obtain a US shipping address and return the tablet to them in the US, which would be prohibitively expensive. 

By this stage (early April 2012) I had "had enough" and contacted Spreets to ask for a return and refund in accordance with Australian consumer law (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1023610). They cheerily referred me on to DinoDirect. I provided DinoDirect with a copy of the purchase documentation, the full background story, photographs to show that the emails were not loading and that the battery was running out quickly and a statement that the goods were faulty and did not do what they were represented to do and were not fit for purpose and that I was asking for a return (at no cost to me as the tablet was under warranty) and refund as provided for in the consumer law. DinoDirect eventually replied offering me a US$50 credit voucher that I could spend in their online store towards another tablet.

As the tablet is so faulty as to be of no use to me or anyone else, I wrote back restating my rights and their obligations under Australian law, and their reply basically said if you want a refund you will have to send the tablet back to us at your own cost, but since that will be expensive perhaps you just want to take the $50! I then contacted Spreets to say that since they were the Australian-based seller that I initially contracted with, they also had responsibilities to comply with Australian consumer law. They just referred my complaint on to DinoDirect again and said to expect a further reply. I am still waiting nearly two weeks later!

In summary:
  • DO NOT buy from DinoDirect as they have just thumbed their noses at Australian consumer law and ignored the warranty attached to the tablet. 
  • DO NOT buy any electronic gadgets via a deals voucher unless you can be sure that the supplier of the goods is based in your home country and you will be able to exercise your rights under the warranty and local consumer law.
Update as at 6 July 2012:
After more correspondence with Spreets after not hearing anything back and then being referred to DinoDirect again and not hearing anything back, I decided to write to Spreets one final time saying that I held them responsible for ensuring that a solution was reached and that if this did not happen I would be reporting the matter to Fair Trading Victoria and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for breaches of the Australian consumer law. Fortunately Spreets took this seriously and undertook to contact DinoDirect again and then got back to me to say that if I did not hear anything within a few days to contact them again.

Within a few days I received a telephone call from DinoDirect (in China) offering to accept a return of the unit and to pay for the postage. This was followed up by an email confirming the offer and providing instructions for returning the unit. I have packaged it up and posted it today (the cheapest cost including a tracking number was A$31.50) and will hope that they are true to their word and provide a refund of all costs once they receive the package. It will be interesting to see how they arrange this as it was originally paid for by credit card through Spreets. I will post a final update once the outcome is clear, but I think for any consumer of electronic goods the summary advice above still stands - it is just too problematic buying from an overseas supplier without local agents if you run into problems.
Update as at 10 August 2012:
I had to follow up with DinoDirect to see if they had received the package and they are now refusing to provide a refund, just a replacement, citing an expired warranty period (patently incorrect) and the :group purchase arrangements". They have gone back on their previous verbal and written agreement to refund the purchase price plus shipping and seem not to care in the slightest about being in breach of Australian consumer law. So, I have gone back to Spreets again asking them to sort it out and get DinoDirect to pay them money to them so that I can get a refund from Spreets. We will see what happens, but this only reinforces the advice in the summary above - give DinoDirect a wide berth!!

Update as at 30 August 2012:
After further pressure from Spreets and prevarication on the part of DinoDirect (claiming to have been in contact with me, claiming to have paid the money, etc.) a refund payment was finally made yesterday through PayPal. However, I was dismayed to discover that the payment had been made in such a way that I was being treated as if I was a seller and fees had been deducted by PayPal, leaving me around A$7 out-of-pocket! After contacting Spreets again they kindly offered to sort things out by providing me with a Spreets voucher for the $7 which I could use at a future time. Given the long and tortuous nature of this matter, it seemed the best solution rather than trying to chase DinoDirect for the extra money. As a result I cannot say anything good about dealing with DinoDirect and the reservations above remain - caveat emptor! ('buyer beware!') in any dealings with them.

8 comments:

  1. I would never want to miss out any opportunity to read out your contents.
    spreets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be appreciating all of your articles and blogs because they are fitting up mark.
    cake recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching for hours and I haven’t found such awesome work.
    computer technology future

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your content is shows potential, m gona add this to my bookmarks.
    online computer technology degree

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel pleasure to read the content that you are posting.Look for Cell Com Here

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blog has offered the great knowledge I really enjoyed a lot by reading this. life insurance comparison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Follow up to your blog about Dino Direct - you are not alone - www.dinodirect.info

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a Chuwi v88 via Dino Direct. Less than a year after buying the tablet crashed by itself. Actually now I have no options to fix the tablet using my warranty rights. If you want to buy something with no crashes concerns I recommend you to don't use Chinese Online Stores.

    ReplyDelete